Bagatelle – One Little West 12th Street, Manhattan, New York
What’s one word that comes to your mind when you think of Bagatelle… I think everyone immediately says “brunch.” And not just a casual brunch out with friends, but something more along the lines of this. But while you’re busy taking bottles of champagne to the face, you’re missing a part of Bagatelle that often goes unnoticed. The food is pretty damn good.
I previously wrote about Bagatelle back in 2013 and after my latest visit I can say the food is still just as amazing. Much like Bagatelle does its brunches, they don’t hold back when it comes to dinner. Dishes are French by design but kicked up a notch to meet the modern, hip vibe of this place.
My recommendation is to try everything on the menu. You can’t go wrong. The gnocchi made with a black truffle pesto filling and truffle sauce absolutely ooze with truffle flavor and are so rich and decadent. The Châteaubriand is a carnivore’s dream next to a sky-high pile of fries.
A complete list of what I sampled is below:
- Salade Bagatelle – hearts of lettuce, Parmesan cheese, fresh garden herbs, mustard vinaigrette
- Gnocchi Truffés à la Parisienne de Nicolas – homemade gnocchi, black truffle pesto filling, truffle sauce
- Pizza à la Truffe Noire – black truffle, flat bread, crème fraiche, scamoza
- Tartare de Thon Bagatelle – ahi tuna tartar, avocado salad, lime soy vinaigrette, taro chips
- Calamari – risotto saffron cake squid ink vinaigrette
- Châteaubriand – Pour Deux – 24 oz center cut beef tenderloin, truffle potato purée, red wine and peppercorn sauce – for two
- Poulet Rôti Entier à la Truffe – Pour Deux – whole truffled roasted chicken, country style potatoes, chicken jus – for two
- Steak Au Poivre – black angus certified sirloin steak with homemade pomme frites and cognac classic sauce
Bagatelle is much more than just a weekend brunch party. The chef, Sébastien Chamaret, has developed an enticing menu that makes Bagatelle a restaurant perfect for special occasions and when you and your friends want to splurge on an incredible night out.